A Brief History of Palmerston Evangelical Missionary Church
The origins of the Palmerston Evangelical Missionary Church are found in two Mennonite congregations, one located on the sixth concession of Wallace and the other on the fourth concession of Maryborough Townships. As early as 1874, these two churches were considered one charge.
In 1875, there was split among the Mennonites over the matter of Sunday schools and prayer meetings, and the Meeting House in Maryborough became the property of our church. In 1923, this building was torn down and another built. This is the building that was moved to Palmerston in 1949.
In 1864, meetings were held in homes in Wallace, and in 1871, a church was built by Montezuma Brothers and his son-in-law, for community use. In 1901, the building and cemetery were deeded to our church. This building was torn down and a new one erected that same year. In 1974, the building and land were sold to the Markham Mennonites.
As early as 1943, street meetings were held in Palmerston. In 1953, the Salvation Army Hall was rented for meetings, and the three churches were served by one pastor. In February 1946, a City Mission Worker, Miss Laurene Malcom, was stationed at Palmerston. Also, that year, Ray Priddle was stationed in Palmerston as Helper (now called Licensed Minister), and in 1947 he was requested to give his full time to the work in Palmerston.
In 1949, the Maryborough church was closed and the building moved to Palmerston, and the charge now called Palmerston, had two churches, one in town and the other in Wallace. In November 1972, the church on Prospect Street was dedicated. In 1974, the Wallace congregation attended both morning and evening services in Palmerston, so more space was needed. In November 1988, the addition was dedicated.
1993 saw the Missionary Church of Canada and the Evangelical Church in Canada merging to become the Evangelical Missionary Church of Canada. Soon after, the church in Palmerston became known as Palmerston Evangelical Missionary Church.