If ever there was a climax in a story to end all climaxes, this is it. The fulfillment of the Biblical narrative, the revelation of God’s redemptive, restorative plan for humanity and all of creation.
The betrayal, trial and death of Jesus of Nazareth.
How can I possibly add to this narrative? It is the truest form of love, that God would hand over his only Son to be tortured and killed for my sin, my trespass, my guilty verdict…and yours.
I was asked an interesting question recently when considering the cross of Jesus: “Who would you be without Jesus in your life?”
It is an interesting thing to ponder as we read about Jesus’ death for us today. What kind of person would you be? What would your values and morals look like? What would you be addicted to? What kind of life would you be living?
I know my answer to that question kind of scared me and made me realize just how different I am because of Jesus and his death for me.
- What was familiar from this passage of scripture? What was something I already knew?
- What was new from this piece of scripture? What was something that really stood out for me that I have never paid attention to before?
- Does Jesus appear in this passage of scripture?
- How does this passage apply to my life, here and now? Do I need to do anything about it?
- What prayer would I offer up to God after reading this piece of scripture?
Tomorrow’s Reading: Luke 23; John 18-19