When was the last time you asked someone to pray for you? Or when was the last time someone offered to pray for you?
It struck me a number of years ago as I was reading though John 17:20-26 how amazing it is that Jesus prayed for me; and as you read this chapter today, I want you to consider that he prayed these words for you.
On the cusp of his own execution, Jesus takes time to pray for strength for himself to complete the task that was ahead of him, but then he prays for his disciples and for all those who will believe in him. Just consider how incredible that truth is! Jesus bowed his knee to pray for you!
That you would know and understand the truths that Jesus revealed. That you would be protected by God. That your joy would be complete because of Jesus’ presence in your life. That you would be sanctified (that means made holy by the presence of the Holy Spirit in your life). That you would be sent into the world with the message of Jesus’ love; and for unity among believers over all the ages.
That’s quite a list of things that Jesus prays for us. I remember being quite humbled when I read those words from Jesus, directed at me.
- What was familiar from this passage of scripture? What was something I already knew?
- What was new from this piece of scripture? What was something that really stood out for me that I have never paid attention to before?
- Does Jesus appear in this passage of scripture?
- How does this passage apply to my life, here and now? Do I need to do anything about it?
- What prayer would I offer up to God after reading this piece of scripture?
Tomorrow’s Reading: Matthew 27; Mark 15