Yep, that’s right, I just stole the title from Star Wars: Episode 4 (sorry George Lucas). And for good reason. Judges started off pretty bleakly yesterday. In fact, if the book were to end after chapter 2 it would probably be considered one of the worst tragedies of all time. But it doesn’t stop there, and we get our first look at the judges in chapters 3-5.
Israel screws up, but God remains faithful, and in his faithfulness he raises up men and women who believe Him, confront the enemy and win the victory.
While it is important for us to be aware of the warnings in the book of Judges about obedience, following God, and walking our own path, it is actually more important (in my humble opinion) to learn the following truth: BE AVAILABLE. God used Gideon, Deborah, Samson, Othniel, Ehud and all of the others because they were available when he called them. No matter what is going on in the world around us, no matter how out of control things may seem, God can (and does) still work through people who trust Him, give themselves to his service and do what he calls them to.
We, my friends, are the ones who need to be available in the same way those who became judges were available.
- What was familiar from this passage of scripture? What was something I already knew?
- What was new from this piece of scripture? What was something that really stood out for me that I have never paid attention to before?
- Does Jesus appear in this passage of scripture?
- How does this passage apply to my life, here and now? Do I need to do anything about it?
- What prayer would I offer up to God after reading this piece of scripture?
Tomorrow’s Reading: Judges 6-7